Tuesday, February 18, 2014

I am second

In this series   of posts I'm thinking about change -- especially long term change  following  surgery to correct a "major life threatening"  medical problem.


Scott Scovell Hamilton is a retired American figure skater and Olympic gold medalist. He won four consecutive U.S. championships, four consecutive World Championships and a gold medal in the 1984 Olympics.

Along with his sports success Scott has faced some serious health issues.  
In this  video (I am Second)  he talks about some "defining moments" in his life.  Not so much about dramatic change but rather how these "moments" made a difference in his life.  





As I think about the change resulting from my "brush with death" it seems that if there is change it is more of a gradual nature - nothing dramatic -- but perhaps as I reflect  on it, I will see it as a "defining moment" that allows me (by God's grace and the help of his Spirit) to build on prior strengths and "overcome"  in some sense a number of weaknesses.

One thing that has come from all this is the certainty that any (positive) chage  comes from trusting in God and Psalm 121 comes to mind

I lift up my eyes to the hills.
    From where does my help come?
My help comes from the Lord,
    who made heaven and earth.
He will not let your foot be moved;
    he who keeps you will not slumber.
Behold, he who keeps Israel
    will neither slumber nor sleep.
The Lord is your keeper;
    the Lord is your shade on your right hand.
The sun shall not strike you by day,
    nor the moon by night.
The Lord will keep you from all evil;
    he will keep your life.
The Lord will keep
    your going out and your coming in
    from this time forth and forevermore.


God Bless
Charlie









No comments: