Tuesday, December 05, 2006


In my last post I mentioned 3 people close to us –Jack, Kayla and Morris who needed prayer. I am grateful for those who have added these names to their prayer lists. I believe prayer has a tremendous power—even when the outcome isn’t the one we would like.

I thought I would provide a quick update (including some emails "pasted in" from updates I have sent to friends and family.

Jack (King) seems to be on the mend. The Dr. put him on a stronger antibiotic on Monday. I understand he was out of bed and resting on the couch this morning and is eating some light foods. We hope and pray that this means he has turned the corner and will soon be back on his feet.

Morris (Whitehead) had his hip replacement surgery yesterday and all seems to have gone well. I visited him at noon today and he was able to eat soup (liquid only diet). He was up once this morning and seems to be on track. The Dr. said he expects him to be released on Friday. Goldie was there with him and as I was leaving Guy & Margaret Stoppard came in. Guy is the preacher for the Thessalon congregation that Goldie & Morris are a part of.

This leaves Kayla –We are still very concerned about her. From the 2 updates below there are mixed results. Apparently the blood test results show some progress in fighting the infection (from). However, we just heard from Tracy around noon today that the surgeon wants to do the surgery to "flush out" the knee again because it is still badly swollen. However, it has to be “fit in” to his schedule so there is no specific time yet. Nothing else has changed from what Rachel told us last night. On top of that Mac (Rachel’s partner) had a tire blow out on his way to the hospital this morning resulting in minor damage to his vehicle—fortunately he wasn’t on the main highway and wasn’t traveling at a high speed. Please prayers for this family.

Prior email updates

Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 09:56:
Subject: Kayla Update
Rachel called us about 1:30 a.m.--They had a surgeon come in from Toronto to look at Kayla and he decided further surgery was NOT necessary last night. The good news was that the blood tests are showing improvement (reduced infection) . However, at best, it is still going to be a long haul before she is completely recovered. They are planning a bone scan today to determine if the infection has gotten into the bone. If it has the treatment could take up to 6 months. Drs. have said will be putting in a "pic"line (permanent IV adaptor) sometime in the next day or so.

Len & Tracy are "camping out" at the hospital because the weather has been bad and making travelling from Rachel's to hospital difficult.

Weyford Smith has been in touch with them and is providing some local support for the family.

Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 18:45
Tracy just called and Kayla is scheduled for more surgery at 10p.m. this evening -- no info on the reason for the surgery or what type of surgery but clearly isn't what they were hoping for.

Other than the time keeping up with these situations, I have been busy wrapping up my courses, grading papers and continuing to work on preparing exams. My last class sessions are this evening. I’ve been developing a ”study guide” which I will go over to-night to highlight the main points the students should know. The exams are Thursday afternoon and Friday morning.. It will be nice to be finished!!

I was out with Linda yesterday for a couple of hours and I finished my Christmas shopping (I just have Linda) and helped her some with the family shopping.

This morning we made a trip to visit the “BBB” in storage. Linda went through and collected some things I hadn’t taken out before I put the “beast” into storage (She was away when I did that). I started the engine and moved it forward and back just to keep things lubricated. It was sad to have to walk away again because we do enjoy being on the road.

After that we went to Sears and did som emore shopping. Bumped into some folks we knew so some of that time was more pleasurable visiting rather than shopping.

BTW – we have winter here. It started snowing last Friday and has continued off & on all weekend. We now have about 4 inches(10 cm) on the ground and it is cold ( 5-10F or -15 to -10C)

God Bless


Stoned-Campbell Disciple said...

Thank you for allowing me to pray along with you.

Bobby Valentine

Dee O'Neil Andrews said...

Wow, Charlie!

I haven't been by in a few days and you've got all kinds of serious things going on. I'll pray for Kayla and all the families you mentioned. That's really scary and I know people can lose limbs from such infections and all. Wow!


Blessings to you today. Dee

Candle (C & L) said...

Thanks Dee & Bobby for your comments - Prayer helps and it gives great comfort to know that you are praying.